The Orangery at Danesfield House
The Present Neo-Tudor building was built in 1901 for Robert Hudson, on what had been geographically recognized as a prehistoric hill fort known as ‘Danes Field Camp’. The property was requisitioned in WWII by the Committees Intelligence Collection Management whose staff were initially recruited from the Royal Air Force. The committee set up Signals Intelligence at Bletchley Park and Imagery Intelligence at Danesfield House.
An ‘Orangery’ was a building frequently found in the grounds of fashionable residences from the 17th to the 19thCentury and given a classical architectural form. The Orangery was similar to a greenhouse or conservatory. The name reflects the original use of the buildings as a place where citrus trees were often wintered in tubs under cover, surviving through harsh frosts though not expected to flower and fruit.
Please click on the below link to view the new Sample Orangery Menu